Thursday, December 14, 2017

Top Ten Dangerous Foods For Your Dog

August 22, 2009 by  
Filed under A Dogs Life

 

 

Some Foods Pictured here are Poisonous for Your Dog!

           These Foods Are Great For Us But Not For Our Dogs!

 

Many of the foods we enjoy can be dangerous and detrimental to our dogs health.  Take for example Dogs and Chocolate, many people do not realize that it is a dangerous combination.  But there are many other foods in addition to chocolate that are not suitable for our dogs and just as dangerous for them to eat.  Here is a list of ten dangerous foods we should NOT feed our dogs:

 

1. Alcoholic Beverages
Alcohol consumption can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

2. Avocadoes
The chemical in Avocadoes is toxic to many animals and can damage the heart, lungs, and other essential tissues.  Dips containing avocadoes should be kept well out of your pets reach.

3. Chocolate, Coffee, Tea, other Caffeine Beverages
Because of the caffeine they act as a stimulant; your dog’s heartbeat accelerates or beats irregularly and can lead to seizures or even cardiac arrest. They can also act as a severe diuretic causing frequent urination, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

4. Grapes and Raisins
These foods contain a toxin that can damage the kidneys and/or lead to kidney failure.  They can also cause frequent urination, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

5. Liver (in large amounts)
This can cause a Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

6. Macadamia Nuts
The Nuts contain a toxin that effects the digestive system, nervous system, and muscles. 

7. Onions and Garlic
Both contain sulfoxides and disulfides which damage red blood cells and cause anemia.  Onions are more toxic than Garlic but avoid both.

8. Pitted Fruits (Plum, Pears, Cherries,Peaches and Apricots, etc.)
Pits contain traces of cyanide and could be fatal to small dogs.  The pits can become lodged in the intestinal tract causing blockage.

9. Raw Eggs
Raw eggs may contain Salmonella and have an enzyme called avidan which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can actually lead to skin and hair coat problems.

10. Raw Fish
Can create a thiamine deficiency; thiamine is a B vitamin.  This can lead to loss of appetite, seizures and in severe cases death.      

If you believe your dog has been exposed to something poisonous, call your vet immediately.  If you can’t get to your vet you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435.  The hotline is available twenty-four/seven; there is a fee for the service.


Did you like this? Share it:

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.